Thursday, January 22, 2009

LEARNING FROM OTHERS

I just read an article concerning the fire service once again. The District of Columbia Fire Department and EMS Services during the past couple of days were staged to handle everything from frost bitten toes to Ted Kennedy having a seizure. They had been planning for months, five medic strike teams of three medic units and 18 paramedics were in place, out side fire departments with a city guide covering the District while the DCFD covered the large crowds are examples. Read more at Firehouse.com.

Others were able to learn and pick up some good tips. Fire Chiefs from many metro areas in the USA visited Washington, not for the inauguration, but to watch the DCFD and watch how their plans worked out and found systems they could take home from the lessons learned.

This reminded me why I and everyone else should be on alert. Just standing by watching and listening to others will help you pick up the tips you may need to further your career, help your family or make you a better life in general. As I have been told during the past, the reason to attend a business conference is to steal other people's ideas and use them yourself. I hope someone has stolen mine. If no one has, then I feel bad, because I have been a real thief over the years.

Have you every listened to someone and picked up on the smallest portion of a comment that makes your idea now work? If you have not, you are missing the boat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patrick as I travel and eat dinner out at night (usually be myself) it is amazing what you can learn about business and the good/bad about personal lifes. Some call it evesdropping I call it listening to dinner music.

Kurt Harden said...

It's okay that you are a thief. I have stolen hundreds - if not thousands - of ideas from you.