Thursday, January 15, 2009

Heated Windshields

This afternoon I had a good laugh at myself. In 1985 I purchased the first Taurus station wagon sold by Walker & Battat Ford in Heath. Loved the car.

As I was driving around with ice stuck to my windshield today and the rear window perfectly clean due to the electric heater in the rear window to defrost the ice, I wonder why they do not offer a heated front windshield. No loud noise of trying to push blowing heat to the windshield and a fast defrost time. Then I remember the 1985 Taurus.

This car did have electrical elements in the windshield glass and you never had ice built up on the windshield and the noise of wipers making their terrible scraping noise. This is what made me have a good laugh.

I borrowed a friend's radar detector for a family trip to Washington D.C. combined with the U.S. Chamber's legislative meeting driving the Taurus. I was very impressed with the radar detector, 80 mph to Washington and three days later 80 mph back home. No problems, no tickets and a speedy trip.

When I was back in Newark and returned the borrow equipment, I shop for a radar detector and bought one just like my friends. I sat down to read the easy to read instructions, push a couple of buttons and it was working.

The one thing I did not know about the detector on the way to Washington and on the way back: The instructions stated the radar detector does not work with electrical heated windshields. For days afterwards I thought about how lucky I was not to get a ticket. No wonder there was never a beep out of the detector warning me of radar traps.

2 comments:

Kurt Harden said...

I remember that car.

Vicky said...

How fun to laugh at ourselves. They are the most fun!!