Tuesday, November 29, 2011
Stolen from Steve Layman, click here to check out Steve's blog.
Monday, November 28, 2011
Had Walton succeeded in buying the Meijer chain, it would have dramatically altered the course of Grand Rapids’ economy, which grew over the following decades with Meijer and other major local companies.
Tuesday, November 22, 2011
Pledge your support for Small Business Saturday®The 2nd annual Small Business Saturday® is
a day dedicated to supporting small businesses
on one of the busiest shopping weekends of the year.
On November 26, we’re asking millions of Americans to Shop Smallsm at their favorite local stores and help fuel the economy. When we all shop small, it will be huge.
Monday, November 21, 2011
You’ve heard her voice across the world, but you’ve probably never acknowledged that there’s a face to go with it. Carolyn Hopkins is the soothing yet authoritative disembodied voice in the sky, booming from public address systems in airports and train stations in dozens of countries.
She delivers words of welcome, safety advice, and sometimes even that dreaded message that your flight is delayed or canceled. And surprisingly, the message isn’t concocted in some faceless laboratory with robotic voices. Instead, Hopkins works the magic of her voiceovers from a modest office in northern Maine.Read more:
“Traveling can be such a bummer these days that people need a friendly voice,” Hopkins tells CBS. And more than 200 airports around the world, as well as the New York City subway, have adopted the 63-year-old’s voice as their official spokeswoman, proving that we all want a little comfort and consistency while traveling.
Hopkins is surely one of the most listened-to voices in the world, secretly famous yet always respected. The next time you’re in a foreign airport, keep an ear on the sky – you might just hear Hopkins’ voice welcoming you. She’ll make you feel at home, no matter how far from it you may be.
Found on @TIME via Twitter
Friday, November 18, 2011
Wednesday, November 16, 2011
Monday, November 14, 2011
Saturday, November 12, 2011
Founded in 1965 and committed to battling a demonstrated discriminatory culture against people of Mustached American heritage, the American Mustache Institute is the world’s leading facial hair advocacy organization and think tank protecting the rights of, and fighting discrimination against, Mustached Americans by promoting the growth, care, and culture of the lower nose forest.
Broadly considered the bravest organization in the history of mankind behind only the U.S. military and the post-Jim Henson Muppets, the Institute serves as the ACLU of the downtrodden Mustached American people, making its headquarters in the City of St. Louis, as it is home to the world’s largest mustache – the Gateway Arch.
AMI continues to battle negative stereotyping that has accompanied the mustache since those glory years of the 1970s – the peak of mustache acceptance – fighting to create a climate of acceptance, understanding, flavor saving, and upper lip warmth for all mustached Americans alike.
Read the detailed history of the American Mustache Institute and the long-standing pattern of discrimination here.
Friday, November 11, 2011
From the mind that was George Carlin, comes a list:
1. Throw out nonessential numbers. This includes age, weight and height. Let the doctor worry about them. That is why you pay him/her.
2. Keep only cheerful friends. The grouches pull you down.
3. Keep learning. Learn more about the computer, crafts, gardening, whatever. Never let the brain idle. ” An idle mind is the devil’s workshop.” And the devil’s name is Alzheimer’s.
4. Enjoy the simple things.
5. Laugh often, long and loud. Laugh until you gasp for breath.
6. The tears happen. Endure, grieve, and move on. The only person who is with us our entire life, is ourselves. Be ALIVE while you are alive.
7. Surround yourself with what you love, whether it’s family, pets, keepsakes, music, plants, hobbies, whatever. Your home is your refuge.
8. Cherish your health: If it is good, preserve it. If it is unstable, improve it. If it is beyond what you can improve, get help.
9. Don’t take guilt trips. Take a trip to the mall, to the next county, to a foreign country, but NOT to where the guilt is.
10. Tell the people you love that you love them, at every opportunity.Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, butby the moments that take our breath way.
Thursday, November 10, 2011
The Most Important Date In History: 111111
The time has come.The Wales are aligning.The date which most closely resembles Corduroy, EVER,111111is upon us!Rejoice. Rejoice! Our day has come.
To commemorate this momentous date and honor thy Corduroy, many happenings are occurring. Of foremost importance will be the 6th, perhaps, maybe and probably likely the final Annual Grand 111111 Meeting. As this is surely our Grandest hour this will be our Grandest Meeting and marked by unparalleled grandeur at a location befitting our most glorious fabric. We shall convene at the magnificent Refectory at The Desmond Tutu Center on 10th Avenue in New York, NY. There, these activities will likely occur:
• Dark Secret Rituals (No photography please)
• Presentation of Awards for Exemplary Usage of Corduroy
• Awards for Best Dressed
• A person (to be determined, and of some gravitas) to deliver a keynote address
• Installation of Corduroy Messiah (child – still at large! – that shall turn 11 on 111111)
• Singing, Dancing and Poetry inspired by Corduroy
• An open bar with Beer and Wines• Additional epic and historic things
“Doors” will open for Meeting check-in at 7:30 pm and the Meeting will commence, promptly, at 8:11 pm. We will (attempt to) adjourn at the most auspicious time of 11:11 pm.
Tickets can be purchased here. As we expect reCord attendance please purchase your admission as soon as possible. This will allow us to accommodate everyone comfortably.
Please note: the Two Item Rule is NOT in EFFECT! We are instituting a THREE ITEM RULE! That means, you must wear THREE (3) items of Corduroy. You can do it!
Also—details are accumulating regarding something called: The 11 Days of Corduroy. This will commence on November 1, or 111, a date which closely resembles Corduroy. (Details regarding this extraordinary initiative to follow, here.)
Additionally, we are thrilled to announce the release of the first official Corduroy Appreciation Club pant. In collaboration with Betabrand, makers of Cordarounds™, 111 pairs of pants will be released on 10/11/11. Before they are consumed by the less-appreciative public, a limited time pre-sale for CAC Members is happening right now. We urge you to seize this rare and extraordinary opportunity!
In other Cord-related news: we recommend this handy resource for those looking to outfit themselves for the 11 Days of Corduroy, the Grandest Date and beyond. Also, we have restocked Membership Materials and some popular tie colors. These updates will be reflected on the website—once we figure out how to do that.
Hail the Wale!
Quite Cordially,The Corduroy Appreciation Club
Monday, November 7, 2011
Saturday, November 5, 2011
Wednesday, November 2, 2011
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry