Monday, October 18, 2010

TRANSPARENCY & BUSINESS


Several years ago the Park National Bank of Newark, Ohio ran a series of ads on the radio and in print with their key employee's names, photos and their direct business telephone number along with their home number. The advertisement would ask people, if they have a problem to call a banking officer at work or at home. To this day, even the senior officers of the bank answer the telephone when someone calls on the direct line to their desk. I was at the home of a Park National Bank person one time watching a football game, he answered his phone and helped a lady with her checking account problem. To me this was a great promotion of making sure people knew the bank was transparent.
Transparency of business people and owners have somewhat gone to the wayside. Staying hidden & not available on weekends makes you wonder how some businesses draw new clients and how they keep their past clients.
I try to stay as transparent as possible, making sure I am out where I can visit and where others can visit with me. It is not hard to find me since my published home & office telephone numbers go directly to my cell phone, have an easy to remember web address and watch out if you google my name. I can be found, my goal.
The internet can be a demon to transparency if you allow it, you can hide by deciding social media, web sites and blogs are not the way to go. Today, their is no excuse for a business person to think it is too expensive or time consuming to make you have a spot within the worldwide web (www) so you can be found.
A company I purchased a Scottevest jacket through was found on the web. The owner who I have never met had a problem several weeks ago and emailed his customers which created a positive & supportive firestorm via Twitter, Facebook and bloggers across the world. He has gained more business because of the issue he brought out. When I emailed him, he emailed back. He is transparent.
Keeping your believes and face out front brings more business.

1 comment:

Sean M. Carpenter said...

Patrick,

A fabulous post and very true in today's "look at me" world. You can't ask for exposure and publicity for all your successes and then try to hide behind the scenes when you experience obstacles or failures.

Some leaders in many industries need to realize that the benfit of the doubt always resides with the transparent companies from the get go.