Thursday, July 8, 2010

ELBOWS NEVER GET COLD

Top Ten Tricks of the Tailor: #4
Stitch on some Patches

Having your tailor add some elbow patches to your jacket is but another great embellishment, especially as fashion begins to gear up for F/W a couple months from now. Then again, there are ways to keep your patches hot-month friendly.

Elbow patches are such a great way to spice up your jacket because they serve as a somewhat subtle way to build contrast and add elements to your outfit. For lighter weight jackets that you’re likely to don in those summer months, consider lighter weight patches in bright pastel colors in cotton or suede that contrast with the rest of your jacket. For the cooler months, look into muted suedes and leather. Consider varying the materials: flannel, denim — get creative. It’s hard to mess up here.

And don’t forget to do this on your shirts and sweaters.

All you’ve got to do is lay down a little coin for some fabric (buy half a yard if you can) and take it in. It’s one of the easier jobs a tailor can do. Cut and sew. You’re looking at a cheap operation sure to enhance your look.
Last year I had two favorite sweaters with elbow holes. I decided it was time for the suede patches. My seamstress told me to put the sweaters on, locate where I wanted the patches and tape them to the sweater. I did so and she did a fine job of sewing the suede patches on the sweaters. When I picked them up, she warned me she did not do the damage to the patches but I did. You should not use duct tape crisscrossed over the patches, it pulls the little fuzzes off the suede and leaves a very visible marking on your new elbow patches. My real theory in life: you can have holes in your sweater's elbows, very seldom do you wear a sweater because your elbows are cold.
Thank you to Pepidemic for this article about elbow patches.

No comments: