Monday, December 27, 2010

CHRISTMAS DAY MISSION

Christmas morning, pacing the floors of our home looking for a mission to accomplish, I finally received an assignment. We needed string to tie up the beef tenderloin.

I searched two Duke Stations and one Speedway, no string (the only opened for business). Talked to Sister Robin on the phone and she said my father had string. On my way to pick it up, I thought of a large commercial size spool of string our family had while I was growing up. The spool I picked up was a small, a kite flying size spool.

When Dan (Dad) came to our Christmas dinner event, he walked in with the "spool" a little dusty, but with at least a half mile of string. It has to be slightly over 50 years old. I always thought it came from Richardson Bakery where my grandmother worked. Richardson's was located on South 2nd Street where the parking garage is now in Downtown Newark, Ohio. Dan said he had bought it.

Of all the investments my father has made over the years, I have to think the spool of string has paid off very well and will for for another half mile or so.

No comments: