Wednesday, June 16, 2010

SPECIAL DAY WITH MEDFLIGHT #1

Several weeks ago I made a special day for myself, I spent a good portion of the day with the crew of Medflight #1 at Don Scott Field in Columbus, Ohio. Medflight with eight helicopters located throughout Central Ohio is the main medical helicopter service transporting patients to trauma centers and medical facilities in our part of Ohio. On their last shift MF-1 flew six times in 24 hours. Tuesday was different.

I arrived at my assigned time, watched a 20 minute video of how to jettison the windows in case there would be 'issues", how to open and close doors, operate the seat belts and many other safety techniques. Right off the bat we had a run, but due to the fog not lifting in Knox County we were canceled. The six runs in 24 hours was a myth today, I never sat in my assigned seat to watch the flight nurse and medic do their magic in very tight quarters.

It was not a totally ruined day, I learned a lot and was able to spend several hours with some excellent people. I was also able to respond to client's calls and emails from a very comfortable leather couch while watching a weather map and discussing many interesting issues with the Flight Nurse. I was ready, they were ready, but know one needed us today, which is a good thing.

Below you will see a photo of Pilot Lee, Flight Nurse Jan & Flight Medic Mike with proof that their chest patches are of reflective material.


2 comments:

Robin said...

This was the perfect way for you to start off the last year of your 50s. Maybe you were the lucky charm that brought them no calls and they will invite you back for a repeat when they need another day of rest. I hope they gave you a patch....

Mark Spearman said...

I was witness to these fine folks in action once when my Dad was seriously injured. It was nothing short of incredible to watch them in action.

It's hard to explain it without seeing it, but they came on the scene with absolute authority and lightning fast precision with everything they did. There was disagreement with a doctor and he was told to shut up and do as instructed and he just did it. They had rattled a list of questions and took in the information so fast it made your head spin. Then in a flash, they were gone.

When they hit the scene like they do, their intensity makes everyone else focus and do the necessary actions quickly too.

You were a lucky man to spend the day with them, but it's to bad you didn't get to see them in action.