Thursday, June 11, 2009

I THINK IT CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE


This past week prior to a meeting, the discussion came up about a local high school's graduation ceremony and how the graduates were dressed. I guess there were some parents who were prime example of the children's thoughts on dress for such an important ceremony. Granted it was 85 degrees and held out of doors.
Sister Robertine and I became very good friends while I was in high school, not because we shared many similar interest. We saw each other often and always met in her office, since I did not have one.
Guys had to wear ties, ladies wore dresses (dresses had to touch the floor if kneeling) was the mandatory dress for graduation. Graduation day was my last test on Sister Robertine's four year rule. I decided not to wear socks, but packed a pair in my light blue, double breasted blazer pocket just in case.
As Sister Robertine marched down the hallway to inspect the troops with her cheeks puffed out due to a tight habit, hard sole Nun shoes tapping the floor and her mile long Rosary jingling from her waste stopped and stared into my face. I held the socks out, slipped them on and she smiled. Sister never even looked down, she just knew.
Today's dress standards are not a surprise to me, most people go to work in vacation and cruise wear. Maybe our country would not be in it's current condition if employers had a little more of a dress code.

No comments: