Thursday, June 21, 2012

Lucy 1998-2012

Lucy "The Fire Dog" passed away yesterday, after battling old age for the past week, in fact 15 days after her 14th birthday.

Amazing personality, loved to be around anyone. Early on in life, her first job was to listen for the fire tone of the Newark Fire Department. She would hear the tones before I could, during the day she would quickly sit up and stare, during the night she would jump onto my chest to make sure I would wake up. For eight years she traveled to night time fires, often beating me to the garage door. At intersections on the way, she would hear the truck's sirens and would spin around standing on the console box to see them whiz by us. After the initial knock-down of a fire, I would have to move the car closer so she could see all the action. It was not uncommon to see firefighters in full gear rolling around with her on the ground, stopping on the way to their truck and look in the car to pet her. Her largest fire duration was eleven hours, downtown Newark, Ohio on South 3rd Street known as the "Arwebb Fire". During her senior years she would wake up to the tone, elect not to ride along but wait up for me to come home. Her attendance of fires was recognized several times by the media.

Great enjoyment was what she brought to Carol and I and she was very deserving of being pampered like a lady should be.

The three bells have rung and she has been called back to quarters.


5 comments:

Sean M. Carpenter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sean M. Carpenter said...

Patrick - A great tribute to a great friend. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and Carol as well as Andrew and Jill and all who knew Lucy.

There is nothing better than the loyalty and unconditional love of a dog. I am sure that you will remember her well and think of her often.

Godspeed Lucy!

Cheri said...

So very sorry to hear of your loss.

Amber Harvel said...

I'm sorry to hear of her passing. She was a wonderful dog who touched many lives.

Jeff said...

Patrick -

Kurt tuned me in to your loss - my sympathies are with you.

Got an aging four-legged myself - going on 15 years old now. Every morning when I leave for work, I say to her "now you make sure you're here when I get back".

We become so danged attached to them...

- Jeff