Wednesday, April 27, 2011

THINGS I LEARNED IN CHINA #2


CUSTOMER SERVICE





Day 1: Upon arrival, our tour guide was on time at the airport, when we arrived at the hotel Marco had our room keys in hand so we would not have to stand at a registration desk and pick up our keys.



Day 2: Woke up to a prearranged wake up call, also given ample time to visit and climb The Great Wall. Visiting a department store, there were so many clerks and staff personnel, they out numbered the customers.



Day 3: Visit to the Pearl Factory and including all others factories for the week to come, our host at each facility spoke excellent English. One hostess noted that she obtained her English by watching Sex and the City. She even made sure we saw her S.J. Parker style shoes.



Day 4: During a long bus ride to Hangzhou our tour guide Emily made sure we learned about the economy, Chinese customs and about her personal life. I had the feeling that I was catching a cold due to a cough. We stopped at a highway rest area for a restroom break. I went into the store and to ask about over the counter medicine, due to my language barrier, presented to me was cigarettes, candy and a lime drink. As I explained in sign language of what I wanted, the clerk took off running. I followed her to a clerk next door who spoke English, she smiled ran back to her store and presented me with a product. Of course the box and directions were in Chinese, our tour guide told me what the medicine was for and the important part of one capsule every 12 hours.



Day 5: Above you view a photo of a young lady who was an elevator attendant. Walking to the hall of elevators, she would greet you and press the up button for you. All food in the breakfast buffet was fresh and at the appropriate temperature.



Day 6: The Dollar People selling $5 Rolex's, post cards, scarves and post cards bugged everyone, but made sure you had the opportunity to buy something.



Day 7: An awesome lunch in the two room home of a couple in Shanghai. A large lunch cooked on a two burner gas stove without an oven. The husband and wife were entertaining, allowed photos of their meager two room home. Due to the narrow streets, we rode by rickshaw. Our driver was waiting for us after lunch for our return trip to the bus.



Day 8: No gum on the sidewalks, all parks, gardens and Pavilions were spotless. Constantly seeing someone make sure there was no trash and plants were trimmed. We never felt in danger during the entire trip.



Day 9: Shanghai's airport was very large. Employees constantly asking if we need help or directions. Ticketing, luggage check in and being cleared through the carry-on scanning process was exceptional, with many lines open to ease such a large crowd of people. My estimate was about 700 people going through the process at the same time.



Day 10: Arrival at JFK International Airport: Welcome to America! Through customs, pick up luggage, through the second set of customs. As I was processed through the second step, a TSA lady told me to go straight then turn right. As I walked I turned around to make sure two of my young traveling companions were okay as I wanted to slow down and wait for them so they did not have to walk alone. The TSA lady told me to keep moving, there was not a crowd of people. I started to explain I was waiting for the 12 & 15 year old. She responded with a yell for me "to keep moving". All I could think: I was home.

2 comments:

Patrick Guanciale said...

Africa was the same way. I was in Tanzania for almost two weeks....they had nothing, but were the happiest people I have ever encountered...truly amazing....and inspirational.

Looking forward to parts 2 & 3

Ray Visotski

Cheri said...

You captured our trip very well in these comments. I was so disappointed by the attitudes of the people working at JFK. No one was nice - except our waitress at dinner.