Monday, August 10, 2009

NON-TECH SOCIAL NETWORKING

Technology has given everyone many opportunities to stay in touch with others. I have my "fun" blog, my real estate blog which always needs updating, a web site and you can find my name on Facebook, Linkedin and on Twitter. All have been great to use and I must admit, I have made some contacts.

But, face to face introductions along with a good handshake is still the #1 way to meet people. I mean people as in future clients and people you hope will refer their friends and family to you to become clients.

For many years the Licking County Chamber of Commerce has given their members the opportunity to have many face to face and handshake contact with others. I enjoy the Techno Social Networking, but being at a Chamber Business After Hours, Legislative Luncheon, Annual Meeting, Lunch and Learn, Annual Golf Outing, Ground Hog Breakfast etc. has become a very low budget way of advertising myself and allowing others to learn about my services and business.

I sit in an Open House almost every Sunday for two hours and hope to meet one or two future clients perhaps, kind of like a job interview. The opportunities at the Chamber's events to meet multiple contacts within a two hour period would beat a good open house on any Sunday.

Any person in business with a service or product to promote should have a blog, Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin, but should not miss any opportunity to attend a Chamber event to do their face to face and handshake social networking. The yearly dues for a Chamber membership is surprising low for what you can receive in return, but you have to remember to take advantage of the opportunities.

No comments: