Monday, December 8, 2008

Jury Duty, Day One

This past weekend I started a search to find a way or suggestions to get out of Jury Duty.

The first page I viewed made me feel very comfortable with it's comments and I decided it had to be true, after all it was on the Internet. The comment I stopped at stated: "In December, there is a far greater chance that most trials will be delayed or moved, and you may never actually get called in, while at the same time you are still fulfilling your civic duty. "

Well I am fulfilling my duty, I was selected. Now I can not talk to anyone about the case and can not read the Newark Advocate. At least I am not the alternate juror, I would hate to sit in the court room for 2.5 days and think it does not matter.

My suggestions to not be selected:
Limp, say you are hard of hearing, don't wear a neck tie (I am sure this was my mistake), say you just got off of third shift or you have to pick the kids up from school, spill coffee on yourself while waiting, ask if a television will be available during breaks to watch your soap operas or trip walking into the court room.

The judge gave an explanation of why one should not serve, I could not find a good loophole reason, I am too honest. The neck tie did me in, I thought being asked to help the progress of democracy, one should be dressed appropriately. Where I really went wrong was the two opposing attorneys saw a guy smart enough to tie a neck tie and thought he would be a good juror.

I have changed appointments around, worked until 10:00pm and will come in at 5:00am to make sure my phone calls are lined up for our breaks during the second day hearing and may miss a wanted lunch. But, I am happy I am doing it and not everyone gets to complain two weeks before Christmas they are a juror because most December trials are delayed per the Internet!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know in the Grinch, he hands out an awful lot of Jury Duty notices in December!! My favorite part of the movie - where he says "Jury Duty, Jury Duty, Junk Mail, Eviction Notice." - the true Christmas Spirit!

Vicky said...

I hope at least you have all of your Christmas shopping complete during these trying times.

Nicely adDRESSed article Patrick@!!

Anonymous said...

Very dedicated Pat.