Monday, October 27, 2008

Frank Guanciale

Below you will find the obituary as published by the Newark Advocate for my Uncle Frank who passed away this past Friday.

It is funny how you remember things that happened so long ago, but they always pop up in your mind from time to time.

Frankie was 17 when I was born, the first wedding I can remember was his marriage to Bonnie, I was like 6-7 years old. Several things come to mind, watching him and my father Dan install a garage door spring, working on Pinewood Derby cars and several Soap Box Derby cars and working around my grandmother's home. Frank was in the Army for a period of time and I thought it was so neat to see him in his uniform.

The biggest beef I had between my uncle and father, that still hurts: For my 8th birthday I received from my parents a remote control gas airplane, the kind you fly on the end of a long cord. I will never forget riding with Frank and Dan to a ball diamond, I believe it was at Cherry Valley School with my new airplane. Frank and Dan had a hard time getting the plane to start, I had to sit in the outfield in case the fuel blew up. After the rough start, the two guys stood on the pitcher's mound spinning around flying the plane laughing and smiling with a promise of my turn being soon.

My life is still tarnished, they used all the fuel and I never had a turn, as if the airplane gift was really for me.

http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/20081025/OBITUARIES/81025007/1023/NEWS17

No comments: